Planetary Gear Concept for EV Near Wheel E-Motor
RLE scope of activities:
- Setup Gearbox specification based on Vehicle & Motor spec.
- Benchmark, package and concept validation
- Concept layout and design (CAD)
- Interface Design to Motor and Driveshaft
- Usage of a serial E-Motor combined with an mechanical transmission to achieve torque and speed targets (ratio i~2,0)
- A solution with fixed ring gear – also for housing mounted to the motor- was not feasible with the required ratio and due the axial limitations
- Best solution was a planetary gear set with a fixed carrier to use w/o changes on the serial motor
- The target ratio of i=2,1 was applicable. Gear calculation were delivered
- The design contents a carrier mounted in a compact housing unit (only 70 mm length), which could be easily assembled to the motors
- The ring gear was shaped like a drum with integrated flange for fixing the side-shafts (similar Audi/VW) instead of the scheduled stub-shafts -> better asembling
- CAD concept (3D/CATIA V5) including gear set, housing, bearings and sealing were delivered
All brand names, product names and abbreviations are the property of their respective companies.